Texas Notaries hold a variety of responsibilities including taking acknowledgments, administering oaths, certifying copies of nonpublic records, plus other duties authorized by Texas law. If you are ready to become a Texas notary, the information listed below will guide to through the application process.
Who can become a Texas Notary
- At least 18 years of age or older
- A resident of the state of Texas
- Not have been convicted of a felony or crime involving moral turpitude.
How do I apply to become a Texas Notary?
Texas has the simplest notary application process in the nation. No testing or exams are required. If you meet the eligibility requirements listed on the previous section, all you need to do to become a Texas notary is to:
- Purchase a $10,000 notary bond. (State employees are exempt from the bond requirement.)
- Properly complete and submit a notary application along with the notary bond to the Texas Secretary of State, Notary Public Unit.
- Include a $21 state filing fee with the application.
- Upon approval as a notary, take an oath of office before a notary public.
- Purchase a notary stamp and a notary record book.
Can I apply online to become a Texas Notary
The Texas Secretary of State accepts online application. The American Association of Notaries was the first organization approved the state to file applications online on behalf notaries. Applying online is fast, easy and secure and the turnaround time to approve your application is faster than printing and mailing your application. To apply online go to https://www.texasnotary.com/how-to-become-a-texas-notary/
How much does it cost to become a notary in Texas
The cost to become a Texas notary is less than $100.00 for a four-year term. Here is the breakdown of the cost:
- State Fees - $21.00
- Notary Stamp - $18.95
- Notary Journal - $9.95
- $10,000 Notary Bond - $50.00
How long is the process to become a Texas Notary?
If your application is not missing any information, it takes from 10-14 working days to be approved as a notary and receive your notary commission certificate and supplies.
Where can I apply to become a Texas notary?
The easiest way to apply to become a Texas notary is to choose an organization that offer all what you need to become a Texas notary in one place. The American Association of notaries, is a one-stop-shop for all your notary needs. Click on this link to apply to become a Texas notary.