Texas Notaries hold a variety of responsibilities including taking acknowledgments, administering oaths, certifying copies of nonpublic records, and other duties authorized by Texas law. If you are ready to become a Texas notary, the information listed below will guide you through the Texas notary application process.
Who can become a notary in Texas?
To become a notary in Texas, you must be:
- At least 18 years of age or older.
- A resident of the state of Texas.
- Not have been convicted of a felony or crime involving moral turpitude.
How do I apply to become a Texas notary?
Texas has the simplest notary application process in the nation. No testing or exams are required.
- Purchase a $10,000 notary bond. (State employees are exempt from the bond requirement.)
- Properly complete and submit a Texas notary application along with the notary bond to the Texas Secretary of State, Notary Public Unit.
- Include a $21 state filing fee with the application.
- Upon approval as a notary, take an oath of office before a notary public.
- Purchase a notary stamp and a notary record book.
Can I apply online to become a Texas notary?
The Texas Secretary of State accepts notary applications filed electronically. The American Association of Notaries was the first organization approved by the state to file applications online. Applying online is fast, easy, and secure, and the turnaround time to approve your notary application is faster. To start the Texas notary application online, go to https://www.texasnotary.com/how-to-become-a-notary-in-Texas
How much does it cost to become a notary in Texas?
The cost to become a Texas notary is less than $100.00 for a four-year term. Here is the breakdown of the cost:
- State Fees - $21.00
- Notary Stamp - $18.95
- Notary Journal - $9.95
- $10,000 Notary Bond - $50.00
How long is the process to become a notary in Texas?
If your Texas notary application is not missing any information, it takes from ten to fourteen working days to be approved as a Texas notary and receive your notary commission certificate and supplies.
Where can I apply to become a Texas notary?
The easiest way to apply to become a Texas notary is to choose an organization that offers all you need to become a Texas notary in one place. The American Association of Notaries is a one-stop-shop for all your notary needs. Click here to apply to become a notary in Texas.