Back to FAQs

Maintaining Your Texas Notary Commission

  • How can I change the name on my Texas notary commission?

    A Texas notary may change the name on his or her commission by sending the Texas Secretary of State the following:

    • A name change application Form 305
    • His or her certificate of commission
    • A rider or endorsement from the insurance agency or surety company
    • A $20.00 filing fee

    Call The American Association of Notaries at 713-644-2299 or email us at for a name change rider.

    Back to top
  • What action should a Texas notary take when his or her address is changed?

    A Texas notary should notify the Secretary of State of a change of address no later than the tenth day after the date on which the change is made. You can update your address online or by mail.
    Back to top
  • How do I renew my Texas notary commission?

    Click here to download and complete the Texas notary commission renewal forms, or click here to renew online. It is strongly recommended that you apply for renewal far ahead of your notary expiration date (but no more than three months ahead!) to ensure that no lapse occurs.

    Back to top
  • How do I resign my Texas notary commission?

    Send a letter stating your intentions to resign to the Secretary of State, Notary Public Unit, P.O. Box 13375, Austin, Texas 78701.
    Back to top
  • How do I get a duplicate Texas notary commission certificate?

    You can request a duplicate copy of your notary commission certificate online or by mail.
    Back to top

Legal disclaimer: The American Association of Notaries makes no claims, promises, or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this page. Information on this page is not intended as legal advice. We are not attorneys. We do not pretend to be attorneys. Though we will sometimes provide information regarding federal laws and statutes and the laws and statutes of each state, we have gathered this information from various sources. We do not warrant the information gathered from those sources. It is your responsibility to know the appropriate laws governing your state. Notaries are advised to seek the advice of an attorney in their states if they have legal questions about how to perform notarial acts.

Texas notary bonds and errors and omissions insurance policies provided by this insurance agency, the American Association of Notaries, Inc., are underwritten by Western Surety Company (established 1900). American Association of Notaries is owned by Kal Tabbara, a licensed insurance agent in Texas.